Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
01 Apr 2020
This is our main page for COVID-19 updates
On this page
- Practice closures - process
- Case definition
- Your local Pinnacle contact
- COVID-19 Healthline
- Other sources of trusted COVID-19 information
Other COVID-19 information on our website
If you have to close the practice (on advice from Medical Officer of Health) after a confirmed case
- Inform the PHO CEO (phone 021 925 812 / email firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as you know this is a necessary step.
- Instigate your business continuity plan ( c.f. Foundation Standards).
- inform staff of pending closure and process to follow
- inform patients of impending closure
- notify neighbouring practices / services of impending closure and agree process for practice patients during closure period
- continue to provide virtual services wherever possible
- arrange thorough cleaning of practice
- advise regarding potential length of closure and re-opening protocol.
If you have to close the practice due to workforce issues
- Inform the PHO CEO (phone 021 925 812 / email email@example.com ) as soon as you think this may be necessary.
- Inform staff of pending closure and process to follow.
- Inform patients of impending closure.
- Notify neighbouring practices / services of impending closure and agree process for practice patients during closure period.
- Continue to provide virtual services wherever possible.
The overarching public health COVID-19 strategy for New Zealand is to eliminate COVID-19 through early case and contact identification and management along with aggressive management of clusters.
Widespread testing, quarantine, self-isolation, and timely contact tracing are tools that we have available to support this approach. Alert Level 4 will help us to break the chain of transmission.
The case definition has been amended to de-couple respiratory symptoms from a travel history with testing made available to people with respiratory symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 infection (including the acute onset of cough with or without fever) regardless of travel history or known contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19. Priority groups for testing have been included in the case definitions.
Pinnacle primary care algorithm
Personal protective equipment - PPE
Full PPE (gown, gloves, mask, eye protection) is required every time you take a swab from somebody. If you do not have full PPE you should not take a swab. Contact your local lead if you have any issues with PPE stock (see details below).
Learn more on the usage and disposal of PPE.
Your local Pinnacle contact
Our local leads are available for questions, concerns and advice. Please also contact one of the team if you have any issues with PPE stock - all our leads are working closely with the DHB in their region.
There is a dedicated Healthline for COVID-19 - 0800 358 5453 - it is free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
(For international SIMs the number to call is +64 9 358 5453.)
The volume of calls to the COVID-19 Healthline is enormous so there is advice on when NOT to call them.
- Don't call Healthline for travel advice. Visit the Safetravel website.
- Don't call Healthline for advice on attending events. Call the event organiser or visit the Ministry of Health website for advice.
- Don't call Healthline about general information. Call the All of Government Welfare Helpline 0800 779 997 between 8am - 1am, 7 days a week, or visit https://www.govt.nz/covid-19 for information including health, travel, education, business and community issues.
Other sources of trusted COVID-19 information